CARTHUSIA



CARTHUSIA

Legend has it that in 1380 the father prior of the Carthusian Monastery of St. Giacomo was taken unaware by the news of the arrival in Capri of Queen Giovanna d’Angiò and so made a flower arrangement with the most beautiful flowers of the island. The water was not changed for three days and, when the flowers were thrown away, the prior noticed that the water had acquired a fragrance unknown to him. He went to the father alchemist who traced the origin of this scent back to the “Garofilum silvestre caprese”. That water became the first perfume of Capri

History, on the other hand, relates that in 1948 the prior of the Monastery discovered the old formulas of the perfumes and, with by permission from the Pope, created the smallest laboratory in the world and called it “Carthusia”

The tradition is now being continued and the limited production means being able to use the same methods as the Carthusian monks. All the fragrances are produced from the highest quality island ingredients before being bottled and wrapped by hand